Internet of Things (IoT)
The IoT module introduces the Internet of Things, which extends Internet connectivity from computers and related devices to other physical devices or common objects and leverages from technologies such as embedded systems, wireless sensors, and automation.
Over the last few years, there has been an explosion in the scale of the Internet of Things. Homes, offices, factories and entire cities are being made “smart” by the proliferation of Internet-connected devices. Some estimates suggest that the number of connected IoT devices will reach 41.6 billion by 2025. Organisations and societies are only now starting to grasp the potential and implications of this trend.
This module is suitable for a wide range of candidates; for example, non-technical professionals who wish to build
and demonstrate an understanding of IoT, facilitating engagement with their technical colleagues or their suppliers, or students who wish to add general technical knowledge to sector-specific or general studies.
Build an understanding of the key concepts and potential of the Internet of Things (IoT) for organisations and for society
Main learning outcomes
The IoT module consists of e-learning followed by a brief certification test. Together,
these components deliver a short, focused professional development solution.
- Understand key concepts relating
to Internet of Things (IoT), including common structure and requirements
- Recognise examples of consumer, commercial, industrial, and infrastructural applications of IoT
- Identify current trends in IoT, including the evolution of IoT components and the important role played by governance.
- Understand ethical, security, and interoperability considerations around adoption of IoT, and consider how IoT could be implemented in a given scenario
- Consider appropriate solutions and models for implementing cloud computing in a given scenario or situation
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL certification is internationally recognised by employers and institutions.
- ICDL Insights modules combine cutting- edge e-learning with a brief certification test to demonstrate your mastery of the relevant concepts and good practice.
- ICDL Insights modules can be coupled with more comprehensive, skills-focused modules to build a profile of skills, knowledge, and competences that are relevant to your career.
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor- independent so that skills, knowledge, and competence are transferable.
Use ICDL Insights in your organisation
If you are interested in using ICDL Insights in your organisation, please contact us using the contact form on this page.
Upon submitting this contact form, ICDL Europe will use your personal data to:
- Respond to your questions or comments
We will only use your data for the purpose of sending emails to you if you consent when completing this form. Your personal data will be processed by staff of ICDL Europe. We may share your personal data with National Operators of the ECDL and ICDL programmes. We will hold your data for 1 year from the date of the last email that we send to you.
You can always withdraw your consent for ICDL Europe to use your personal data. To do this, simply use the unsubscribe button on any email that ICDL Europe has sent you or submit a request through this form.