Smart Digital covers the main concepts and skills needed to use devices and applications securely, safely, and effectively.
It is increasingly important that young people are equipped with the capability to navigate today’s technological landscape. Computers and devices are used in many aspects of their lives, both at school and outside of school.
Smart Digital gives young people the skills they need to use devices correctly, understand how to find and analyse information critically, communicate safely and appropriately with others, and explore their potential through creation and collaboration.
the skills needed to use computers and other devices securely and effectively.
Main learning outcomes
Successful students will be able to use devices and applications responsibly and securely. After passing Smart Digital, students will feel confident using common applications, finding and organising information, and creating and printing a well-structured document. They will be able to:
- understand and manage their digital identity, protecting data and devices
- know how to use devices and applications responsibly and securely
- create online accounts and use or manage common applications
- find and organise information online and create research outputs such as reports
- apply more advanced research skills to create a variety of content as part of a broader project
Benefits of Smart Digital
- ICDL is the global leader in digital literacy learning and certification
- Smart Digital develops digital competences that support and complement subject- specific elements of the school curriculum
- ICDL is mapped to all competence areas of Europe’s DigComp framework
- ICDL is used by thousands of schools around the world
The detailed curriculum for the Smart Digital programme is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The curriculum document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Offer ICDL in your organisation
You can use ICDL as a training centre, a school or college, or for your own staff within your organisation.
To offer ICDL certification, you should contact the local ICDL operator in your country.
You can find contact details for all ICDL operators on our ‘ICDL in your country‘ page.
Find an ICDL course near you
Certifying your digital skills with ICDL is simple:
- Assess your existing skills with a Diagnostic Test
- Build your skills during a course or through learning in your own time
- Certify your skills and earn an ICDL certificate
ICDL Diagnostic Tests, Certification Tests, and courses are available through a network of test centres around Europe.
To get started, find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you